Principal's September Letter
September 10, 2014
Dear LSS Families,
The new school year is off to a great start! We opened the year with 528 students, slightly less than the 542 students who arrived last year. The largest grade enrollment is in fourth grade (187), necessitating ten teachers to maintain good class sizes. We were very fortunate again this year to receive a federal grant to support the hiring of that tenth teacher. We continue with eight sections of both grades 3 and 5.
Three new staff members have joined our professional staff, including Mrs. Estle in Grade 4, Mrs. Bassett as Reading Specialist, and Mrs. Sherry as Speech Therapist. They have joined an outstanding staff that is dedicated to the learning needs of your children.
Custodians have done an outstanding job of readying the school for the start of the school year now in keeping it looking great. I have never had a school cleaned and ready at such an early day, and this success enabled our teachers to come in throughout the latter half of the summer to get their classrooms ready. When you visit the school, you will be impressed with how the school sparkles!
As we begin the new school year let me remind you about several important upcoming events in September.
- The first meeting of the Elementary PTO will be held on Tuesday evening, September 16th, at 7 PM at the Main Street School. Our elementary schools have an outstanding PTO. Please take time to become involved in their many activities throughout the year. We greatly appreciate the active support of our PTO!
- Having a strong partnership with our students’ parents is very important to us. We are proud of being a Blue Ribbon School for an active volunteer program. You are invited to attend our volunteer training at 6:30 PM, also at the Main Street School on the 16th.
- September 17th is an Early Release Day, with students being dismissed at 12:50 PM. Our professional staff will receive training in the new PowerSchool gradebook, and our paraprofessionals will meet with Occupational Therapist Ann-Marie Pollack to learn about sensory processing and intervention strategies.
- Open House will be held on Thursday, September 18th, from 6:30-8:00 PM. Parents/Guardians will have the opportunity to meet their child’s teacher and to learn about his/her academic program. You will also be able to visit with the many other specialist personnel throughout the school. This Open House is for Parents/Guardians; we ask that students not attend. If your child is starting in the band program, don’t forget to pick up instruments at the Open House.
- After School Activities will begin on Thursday, September 25th and run for six weeks ending on October 30th. Registration forms will be sent home very soon. Programs will run from 3-4 PM and include old favorites such as Sports Medley, Arts and Crafts, Jump Rope Club, Top Secret Adventures, and Chess as well as newer activities. So please look for this opportunity to have a great time learning new skills, meeting new friends, and learning problem solving strategies.
- School pictures are scheduled for Friday, September 26th. A brochure with school photo information has been sent home. Please let your child’s teacher or me know if you could benefit from some scholarship support with school pictures.
I want to make you aware of a program called Internet Essentials, which is offered by Comcast. Internet Essentials offers affordable internet for $9.95 per month to eligible students who participate in the National School Lunch Program. Effective immediately new eligible students who sign up before Sept. 20th to the IE initiative will receive the first six months free. If you are interested in learning more about this offer please call 1-855-846-8376.
On behalf of everyone at Lincoln Street School, thank you for sharing your children with us! We feel fortunate to have the jobs that we do and to work with such wonderful children each day! We look forward to working with you to make this a terrific school year for your children!
Jim Hayes, Interim Principal
PTO Needs You!
Contact a volunteer coordinator to find out how. No amount of time is too small!
LSS Has a New Phone Number
To Parents of LSS Students:
Lincoln Street School's phone number has been changed to:
Please take note of this when contacting the school.